Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Raised lesion

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Raised lesion

I have a 10mm x 3mm x 3-4mm raised right buccal? mucosa opposite tooth#16.  After seeing my dentist for a routine examination earlier today, I was referred to an oral surgeon for removal and biopsy of the aforementioned lesion.  It is currently nothing that is bothersome, although this past month I developed an edematous cheek (possible sinus infection - of which I have never had) and was placed on cefzil.  I have responded well to the antiobiotic and the edema is starting to subside.  The lesion did bother me at the onset of infection - more an awareness, than pain.  That could be in part due to the fact that it has grown significantly in the last 3/52.

Any idea as to what this might be or what might cause this type of growth?  I'm sure it is nothing worrisome.  It doesn't hurt, it is palpable.

There are many different histological variants for the lesion you are describing.  Most of them are benign with a low recurrance rate.

The most common is the traumatic fibroma.  Having said this... it is impossible to diagnosis based upon clinical exam alone and a biopsy is indicated to make sure the lesion is nothing more significant.  

Early oral cancers are rarely painful so the absence of pain is really quite meaningless.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.

Thank you for your kind reply.  I believe the plan will be to biopsy, however, this is quite reassuring.

Cheers!