Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Recovery and Pain

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Recovery and Pain

I had just my two upper front teeth extracted and bone grafts done.  They put some sutures in, of course one came lose and I cut it and may have tighted it someplace else.  The procedure was 5 days ago and the pain won't go away, constant throbbing and I don't want to take the hydro codene any more, it scares me.  Is it normal to hurt for so long or do I need to get back to the dentist prior to my follow up?  My whole mouth actually aches not to mention my upper lip, were it meets the gum, has a sore from the instrument they used to hold my lip back.  I am really regretting this right now and dreading the next procedure of putting the posts in.  Any advice?
A couple of days of pain and swelling is normal.  It should be well controlled with prescribed pain medications.  You should definitely notify the surgeon who performed the procedure of your concerns.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.