Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Repair bone loss for implants

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Repair bone loss for implants

Is there a way to treat bone loss if it is horizontal in nature in the front of the jaw only (specifically between the 2 canines on the lower jaw)?  Could bone grafts or distraction osteogenesis work?  Or could a fixed bridge on implants work?  I saw a procedure called distraction osteogenesis to add height to the jaw and I'm wondering if this could be used to allow room for implants or a bridge.  I'm curious to know the treatment options and would like to avoid a denture.  I believe there is a significant amount of bone loss.
Regenerative bone grafting in the mouth is a highly predictable and a common procedure done by Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.  As with many dental conditions, there are a variety of way to reconstruct the missing bone.  The application of Distraction Osteogenesis for implant site development is one of the more recent advances in this technology.  Traditional bone grafting has been used for many years with great success.

In order to know what options are available for your specific condition you would need to meet with an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who would perform an examination and obtain appropriate radiographs.  They may also want to consult with the dentist who is going to make the actual teeth before they begin treatment.

In short, the answer to your question is that both methods are used to replace missing bone in preparation for dental implants.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Is there a minimum quantity of bone needed for distraction osteogenesis to add bone height?  What if the bone loss is severe?  If more gum tissue is needed, can that be grafted beforehand?
Forum rules dictate you must post another new question