Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Roof Of Mouth Problem

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Roof Of Mouth Problem

I am not quite sure how long this has been present, but 2 weeks ago I noticed 2 different "spots " on the roof of my mouth , both which are no bigger than half the size of a penny, and both feeling slightly raised and rigid when i feel it with my tongue or finger (the rest of the roof of the mouth is smooth). These rigid spots are located toward the back of the roof of my mouth , almost where the palate turns from "hard" to "soft." Also, the skin on the roof of my mouth, extending from where the wisdom tooth on the left and right side were, is purple. The light purple skin extends from each side of where the teeth used to be, to the center of the palate. The purple skin looks identical on both sides. Is the roof of the mouth in this area normal to be a light purple color. I do not think it is trauma b/c the teeth were extraced 1 year ago. Is this anything to be worried about or is this a natural texture of the roof of the mouth ? Thank you so very much. Phil
Any lesion in your mouth which persists beyond 10 days after potential sources are addressed should definitely be biopsied.  

You should see a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon as soon as possible.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
1 Comment
A related discussion, peeling of cleft palate skin was started.