Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Root Canal / I & D

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Root Canal / I & D

Hi I had a root canal retreatment tooth # 3 last Thur/Mon + abscess pus was draining Thur. pressure in my face continues to increase. Monday changed antibiotics to Keflex 500 QID finished root canal. Pain continued to worsen unable to bite down or touch tooth or gums so I  called Endodontist today sent me to oral surgeon for I & D. Had the I & D not much pus came out, he talked about trying to get through the bone not sure if he was successful or not. what causes the pressure if not much pus, he said it could be like a cellulitis ...could it be gases from the bacteria. My question is the discharge instruction said no Ice applied to area. Why? my cheek is already 2-3 times bigger.  My friend had same thing on front teeth and was allowed to use ice for swelling & pain. thanks.
Generally speaking, you want to increase blood flow to the infected area after and incision and drainage to promote the elimination of the infection thru the drainage site and to facilitate getting the antibiotics to the site.  Ice causes a decrease in blood flow to the area.

I tell patients to expect the swelling to worsen after the incision and drainage procedure.  However, they should experience less pain.  If you are not significantly improving I strongly urge you to call the surgeon and let them know.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.