Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Swollen gums after extraction

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Swollen gums after extraction
My 2-year-old had a front tooth extracted after an injury (1/3 of tooth chipped) led to an abscess.  The gum above the extraction is still purple and swollen a week and a half later.  She was given antibiotics prior to the extraction, but none afterward.  When should I worry that the infection still exists?
You should bring your child back to the doctor.  

It is uncommon for a child that age to have any residual signs after that time period.  Kids heal remarkably well.

There are several potential causes, all of which require a clinical examine.  Persistent infection, fragment of tooth or bone, problem with adjacent tooth etc.... just to name a few.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.