Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Torri

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Torri

I have a large torri or the roof of my mouth.  I would like to have it removed. Is it a big deal?  Food i now getting traped in the space between my gum and the torri.  It has been there for such a long time, I will feel strange without it.

Who will do this kind of surgery?
Tori are overgrowths of bone.  This is variant of normal oral findings.  Tori should be considered for removal if they interfer with eating, speech, denture use or if they become inflammed or ulcerated.  

The surgery is considered routine for most Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and can often be perform in the office with local or intravenous anesthesia.  Patient generally experience very little post-operative discomfort when removing the tori on the palate.  In some cases, the surgeon will fabricate a plastic stent appliance to be worn over the wound for several days.  This is to prevent hematoma (blood) from forming in the space where the bone was removed.  It also acts to protect the wound when eating.  

I can't tell you if it would feel "strange" to you.  But I can tell you that none of my patients regretted having it done.  As in any surgical procedure, there are some risks which may be specific to your case and I suggest you speak directly to you surgeon during the consultation visit.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
1 Comment
A related discussion, do dentures fit better if torri are removed? was started.