Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
White phlegm, white tongue, foul odor..what is it?

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

I have been to about 5 different ENTs because I constantly have problems with my throat.  I thought I had post-nasal drip, because I have to constantly clear my throat.  I have an elongated uvula and thought that caused it, but one of the doctors said no.  I've been told that I have mild/moderate sinusitis by one doctor, while another told me it was bronchitis and gave me antibiotics.  I keep having to constantly clear my throat, and recently I find myself having to spit, most of the time a sticky white phlegm.  My tongue is also white at times, and my breath gets smelly much quicker than before.  No one seems to figure out what's causing it, and everything seems normal.  I was told that I have a deviated septum and my turbinates are enlarged.  Most of the time, if not all the time, I can breathe freely only through one of the nose holes.  I've tried several sprays, and nothing seems to help so far. In the morning, the phlegm that I clear out of my throat is almost non-stop, it is very concentrated and white.  What can I do?  I'm getting so irritated of this problem.  Thanks in advance.
I appreciate how distressing your problem is to you, however your complaints are beyond the scope of my practice.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
1 Comment
A related discussion, plemg on tongue was started.