Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Wisdom tooth extraction anxiety
About This Forum:

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Wisdom tooth extraction anxiety

I was told about 2 years ago that I needed to have all four wisdom teeth extracted.  I am a 35 yr old woman and all four of these teeth are impacted.  I went to an oral surgeon who let me know that these would be difficult extractions for several reasons.  One has grown into the sinus cavity, one has roots running very close to the nerve, and one may need a bone graft to replace bone when it is removed.  I have severe dental phobias and was told that I needed to be awake for this procedure.  My question is how important is it for me to get this done and what am I facing if I can't manage to go through with it.  Also, do you think I really need to be awake for it?  I am completely terrified that I will end up with permanent nerve damage and go through a horrendous procedure awake and I don't know what to do.  Please give me some advice and maybe a little hope. I don't want to neglect it and make it a bigger problem in the future.  How can I get through this?