Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
abcess under a crown
About This Forum:

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

abcess under a crown

I have an abcess (abscess) under a crown on my back molar, and am scheduled for a root canal in a week.  I saw the Dentist yesterday and he started me on antibiotics.  I am having a lot of pain with this, and the hydrocodone and ibupropen are not controlling it.  I've tried several of the home remedies (tea bags, garlic, etc) and they do no seem to help either.  I  see a white bulge behind the tooth that might be the beginning of the pus pocket.  If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Tags: abcess
Related Discussions
373693_tn?1324489102
Yes, get yourself to an Endodontist or Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon as soon as possible.  The infection may be resistent to the antibiotics and the infection may need prompt drainage.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
2 Comments
Blank
I saw my Dentist today and was able to get a root canal done.  Thanks for your help and information.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
373693_tn?1324489102
Michael H Kirsch, DDSBlank
Dr. Michael H. Kirsch
Caldwell, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now