Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
cellulitis

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

cellulitis

had a root canal a year ago and the dentist could only find one canal.  he thought the other canals were calcified. Now tooth is abcessed.  went  to the dentist and he put me on a z-pack... that afternoon my face swelled severely and was hot to touch.  i was in alot of pain.  Went back to dentist the next day.  He changed me to amoxicillian  reluctantly and was not concerned about the swelling.  He said I should not have pain.  i had alot of pain. although it has subsided in my mouth. my face is very tender to touch and is still swollen. I am scheduled for a root canal in a few days..  also this tooth has a crown on it. shouldnt I wait until all the swelling is  gone in my face?  Im concerned I have cellulits. there is still a swollen area on my gum over my tooth.  any info will be very much appreciated.
The standard treatment for an oral infection causing swelling is to first obtain drainage and then antibiotics.

Most often antibiotics will not cure this infection and just get you by until definitive treatment (root canal) can be started.

You may want to consider seeing an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon about the swelling and pain.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.