Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
compliactions of zygomatic arch fracture

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

6 years ago I had my cheekbone smashed by a hockey ball.  I have two operations to fix the side of my face but as I had severed my infraorbital nerve had severe nerve damage.  I had terrible ant like sensation and hyper sensetive areas across my nose, lip and side of my face.  I had further surgeries where they tried to freeze the nerve and then tried to obliterate the nerve.  However, after every attempt the same horrible sensation comes back.  I obviously heal to well as the nerve keeps on regenerating....

any help...or any one with similar problems or advice.
Post traumatic neuropathies are not uncommon following severe crush injuries like you have described.

Medications such as Neurontin or Tegretal may help but would require long term use.  If the nerve is trying to regenerate then possibly giving it a full year for the sensation to improve is also an option.  During the year you can be on the medication which may help with pain.

Injections of absolute alcohol have been use but this will result in permanent numbness of the lower eyelid, side of nose, cheek and upper lip on the affected side.

Finally, surgery may be required to severe/destroy the nerve closer to its origin

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Thanks for your input.  I have already had surgery two try and freeze the nerve and kill with alcohol but unfortunately the sensation keeps coming back.  I have had the nerve traced as far back through the orbit where the surgeon tried to obliterate the nerve by removing a section.

Unfortunately within a couple of months the feelings returned again.  It seems that I heal to well and the nerve keeps on repairing.  My surgeon has agreed to try and obliterate the nerve but after this attempt I think they have run out of options.

Thanks and Regards
A related discussion, Infraorbital nerve issue was started.