Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
extraction and bone graft pain

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

extraction and bone graft pain

On Wednesday I had 11 upper teeth extracted and bone grafts performed.  3 were almost surely surgical due to older root canals.  A temporary denture was placed until the grafts have healed then I will get the permanent full denture.  I'm wondering how long I can expect the pain to last.  I was prescribed Vicodin and am using Ibuprofen also.  I'm still unable (or unwilling) to chew due to the pain.  Also my tongue is very sore from rough spots in my mouth and chronic dry mouth, which was a huge factor in my tooth decay issue.  I'm just wondering about how long it will be sore and how long the ice packs will be beneficial?  I am very fortunate that I have had hardly any swelling, I'm just longing to eat solid foods again.
Post-operative pain and swelling depends on if they were surgical or non-surgical extractions, amount of bone recontouring required, flap design, presence of pre-operative inflammation or infection and many other factors.

In general terms, it takes about three days after this type of surgery for maximal swelling to occur and then gradually decreases over the next 5-7 days.  Pain is usually the greatest during the first 48hrs.

If you are still uncomfortable even with the pain medication or the pain is not improving then you should contact your doctor.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Thank you so much for your reply.  It helped to know I was right about where I should be.  Tonight the pain is much better and I am just having to use ibuprofen.  I am so happy I had this done, it also lays good bonework for implants in the future.  Another great benefit is the sinus lift, they had dropped into where I had upper extractions done.  I have not had a sinus headache for  days, and that is rare, especially as I am living with the smoke from the California wildfires.  I would recommend this to anyone and my doctor has been a huge blessing.

Enjoying ice cream after 5 years without it,

Renee