Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
extreme jaw pain

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

extreme jaw pain

im am 21 years old, and about 5 years ago I remember eating some hard candies and my jaw locked up on me.  It wasnt painful but a slight annoyance up untill this point. It wasnt every day that it would lock up at the begining ( for about the first year) and i could force it open by opening my mouth really wide and it would click very loudly. After about a year of this it became everyday and i just learned to keep my jaw shut up untill the point that it would click as i thought that this would make it better.  
About 2 weeks ago however it became EXTREMLY sore, not only when opening my mouth but now just at a relaxed position...the pain is constant chewing, talking, opening, sleeping, walking, eating, swimming...ALL THE TIME!!  my ear on the side of which my jaw is hurting is now also contributing to the pain, it feels like something is pushing on my tragus and deep down into my ear!!........

Oh, and yes, i have been to my family dentist and he told me that i am probably grinding/clenching my teeth ( which i strongly disbelieve ( no headaches or signs of bruxism)) and he gave me a nightguard....wore it for about a year and jaw didnt get any better.only worse!)

it hurts SOOO bad ....what is wrong with me!!????????
You need to promptly take yourself to a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who treats TMJ disorders.  There are many possible causes for your condition (bone, muscle, tendons, ligaments, infections, cysts, tumors, etc...).  The longer a patient has been experiencing symptoms without appropriate care, the worse the condition may become and the more difficult it is to treat.

Expect that the surgeon with take a complete history, perform an examination and take radiographs.  After this, they should have a good idea where the physical problem is coming from and recommend treatment.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.