Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
jaw pain after large pop/crunching sound

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

A few months ago I yawned really big a pop sound  came from my right side of my jaw then a crunching sound when i close my mouth. After that my face started to tightning in the side , also stiffness in my jaw and my neck . I been having a lot muscle spasm. Also i have pain not alot in my jaw. I can't opened my mouth  wide alot because of the discomfort . also when i eat i can't barely because it doesn't open much. I am also having a hard time aligning my teeth or bitting down too hard when i try to move my jaw there is a discomfort a mild pain Please help me what could be a disclocation or what
You need to promptly take yourself to a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who treats TMJ disorders.  There are many possible causes for your condition (bone, muscle, tendons, ligaments, infections, cysts, tumors, etc...).  The longer a patient has been experiencing symptoms without appropriate care, the worse the condition may become and the more difficult it is to treat.

Expect that the surgeon with take a complete history, perform an examination and take radiographs.  After this, they should have a good idea where the physical problem is coming from and recommend treatment.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.