Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
locked jaw after tooth extraction

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

locked jaw after tooth extraction

I had a tooth pulled 2 weeks ago. It wasn't a wisdom tooth but the last tooth on the bottom.  the dentist could not numb my mouth and he gave me as much novicain (sorry about spelling) as he put it "as much as he can legally give me" and it still did not numb completely.  He pulled it anyway which was painful. Now two weeks later I can hardly open my jaw to brush my teeth and I am not eating because it is too painful. I went back to the dentist last week and he told me there was nothing he could do but show me some exercises which were forcing my mouth to open. When I do this it seems to tighten up worse. I am miserable with the pain so I am taking co codemol which doesn't really help anyway. He told me if it doesn't subside then I will have to go get cortizone shots to loosen it up.  Why did this happen and how can I be sure that this is the problem.  Please help.
First of all, I am unsure why the "dentist" would continue the procedure if he/she could not have made you more comfortable.

Second,  there are many potential causes for your continued pain such as infection, TMJ sprain/strain, muscle inflammation, fracture of the jaw and others.  My suggestion is for you to see a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon as soon as possible.  The earlier you are properly treated the better the outcome.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.