Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
oral bone growth,excessive

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

oral bone growth,excessive
my dentist tells me that the bone on either side of my lower jaw under my tongue is growing..and is larger than normal causing it difficult for me to swallow with my mouth shut and teeth together because the space for my tongue is less than normal because of the bone growth on either side..said that bone usually grows outward, but mine is growing inward - each side toward the other. cant remember the name of the condition  that he said it is, but said it is RARE. please help.
What you are describing sounds like Tori which are considered a variant of normal.  I have them myself.

If they are interfering with eating, swallowing, breathing, or speaking... you should speak with a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon about having them removed.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.

A related discussion, Oral Bone growth was started.
A related discussion, tori bones was started.