Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
oral surgery to remove a cyst

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

oral surgery to remove a cyst

I have a cyst above one of my front teeth - it was infected but my dentist did root canal on the tooth next to it and he said this would buy me some time - I was put on antibiotics and all is well now.  My question is how much time do you think the root canal may have bought me?; and if I have the surgery done what kind of recovery can I expect? and will I have to go on antibiotics again even if there is  no infection?
I wish I could give you a better response but it is impossible without having performed a clinical exam and reviewing the appropriate radiographs.

In general terms it is possible that the infection does not resolve and is chronic and persistent, or may go away for a couple of days to years.

In any case, you should have the area closely followed by your doctor.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.