Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
pain in gum

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

pain in gum

I had a cleaning and when they were checking my filling in #3 there was apparently a crack and I received an infection. I was put on Amoxicillin and a root canal was performed on June 23, two days later an incision was made in the gum to clean out some of the infection, the next day a small hole was made in the upper gum to try and drain some of the infection. On July 1st I was sent to an oral surgeon who did a panoramic of my face and there was infection the size of a walnut up into my sinus. He put me on Augmentin and on July 8th he pulled the tooth. He also took the stitches out of the incision but the flap opened like it had never been stitched. He restitched it with Gortex stitches and said he thought it hadn't healed because I was so stressed out about the infection. The tooth behind #3 had a small pocket that would not close and the tooth started to ache so that tooth was pulled on September 5th. Although there are no teeth back there when I touch the gum above it it is like touching a nerve, any idea why? Could it have anything to do with the infection being up there for so long, 2 weeks?

Also the incision that was made to clean the infection started in front of the tooth that was in front of #3. Usually by the end of the day or after eating, the gum line around this tooth is feels raw, more so at the back where the teeth is missing. Do you think I am going to lose this tooth also or what the cause of the rawness could be?

I appreciate any help, I have been going through this for 3 months.

Thanks,
What you have described sounds like a persistent infection in the area.  This may be tooth related, sinus related or a combination.

You should follow-up with the oral surgeon and request a definitive treatment plan that includes your options.  I doubt antibiotics will cure the problem.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
The infection is gone, it is just when I touch the gum above where the teeth used to be it is like touching a nerve.