Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
tmj problem after face lift surgery

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

tmj problem after face lift surgery

I recently had a face, neck and brow lift. I am now unable to open my mouth very much and I have jaw pain on the left side only.  The muscle above the TMJ is swolen and my plastic surgeon said it might be the muscle causing the problem but he is not sure.  It's been almost 5 weeks and it is not getting better.  I'm concerned that there might be some damage to the TMJ.  Have you ever heard of this happening after a face lift?

Thank you
Fran
Severe muscle spasms with inflammation does occur following facial cosmetic procedures.  TMJ problems can also be the result of the breathing tube placement during general anesthesia.  Another concern is the potential for an infection under the skin in the area of the TMJ.

In either case, you should see a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who also does facial cosmetic surgery and TMJ therapy.  The one person should have the knowledge and experience to critically evaluate what was done and what might be the source of your difficulties.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.