Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
tooth like growth in roof of mouth

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

tooth like growth in roof of mouth

Hi, about a month ago I started having swelling behind my back two molars on the top left side (towards the roof of my mouth).  It was painful, so I went to the dentist.  He thought it was nothing to be concerned about and it would "rupture" on its own.  Now, I have a hard bone or tooth like point coming through the gum and a second one trying to come through (much like a molar).  I had my wisdom teeth removed 12 years ago.  Should I be very alarmed, or can this wait until my next dental check up in Feb?  Is this most likely an extra tooth coming in or could it be something very serious?
If your dentist actually told you to wait and let it rupture on its own then you should definitely get another dentist.

Any mass, swelling or lesion that persists in the mouth for more than 2 weeks needs to be completely investigated and never dismissed!  

Get yourself to a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon as soon as possible.  It may be nothing serious...however a clinical and possibly radiographic is a must!!

It is impossible to say what it is in this forum.  Hundreds of text books have been published on oral pathology so there are many possibilities.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.