Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Achilles tendinitis - no health insurance
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Achilles tendinitis - no health insurance

I suffered an Achilles tendinitis back in October from a running injury, and it's been nagging me ever since. After about three weeks I stopped limping but it's still tender when I touch the area in the back at the lower calf where the Achilles tendon is located.

I don't have health insurance at the moment and probably won't for the foreseeable future and I'm wondering if there is anything other than icing and rest that I can do. Are there any exercises I can do to keep it more flexible?

It doesn't really get worse, but it's not getting better, either, because of course I have to walk on it. I'm just very frustrated that it's taken so long to get over this, and I'm not exercising other than walking around doing normal day-to-day stuff. I read on-line that these injuries can be rather nagging and prolonged, and I guess I just wanted to know if anybody's been here and some suggestions.

I realize that getting a CT or x-ray or whatever is optimal, but I don't have the $$ for it right now.

Thanks for any advice!