Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Ankle Sprain Getting Worse Everyday
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ankle Sprain Getting Worse Everyday

I was shopping for groceries 3 weeks ago and while I was standing still, my ankle rolled.  I have hypermobile joint syndrome so I'm used to spraining things easily.  I kept shopping, but came home and iced my ankle.  I iced and elevated it like I was supposed to, and kept off of it.  It was "okay" for a week and a half, but then it was horrible.  I could barely walk at times, and when I would walk very long, my toes would hurt.  I started trying to ice it like I had initially, but the ice made the pain excruciating.  If I try heat, the swelling gets worse and sometimes it gets a bit numb.  To make matters worse, while walking the dogs last night, my ankle twisted again (same one) when I stepped in the "moat" my neighbors have.  (They like to edge their yards and have a space about 4 inches deep and 3 inches wide between their yard and the sidewalk.)  The new sprain responds to ice the same way that the older one has been responding.  I nearly faint from the pain while walking, but I can still walk, so my family doctor is convinced its just a sprain and not a break.  My foot hurts in between my toes and ankle. (I'm never convinced of that adage, since I every time I've broken my other foot, I've walked for months on it.)