Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Ankle pain and swelling 2 years after surgery

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Almost 2 years ago i fell on the ice while walking and broke my ankle.  The dr's said i broke all the bones tri malleolar?  Since then I had surgery to place screws and plates and i had surgery to remove plates and screws.  I still have 2 screws in the ankle.  I was told i would need a 3rd surgery but they decided i didnt need it.  They wanted to do a 3rd because there was a big space between the bones on one side.  I was allright for awhile but about 3 months ago the pain and swelling began.  I now use the cam walker and crutches as i cannot bear weight on it.  The drs placed me on therapy and drugs.  Neither of which works!  I am now in a position where they bluntly told me they do not know what the cause is and come back in 3 months and they would consider fusion.  the only test done was an xray.  isnt there another test that can be done?  Is there any reason why i should still have this pain and swelling.  Also, the swelling does not completely go away even with heat or cold therapy and the pain never goes away it seems to be getting stronger/worse as the days go by.  Is there any question i should be asking?  The pain is mostly concentrated to the back of the ankle and outer left part of ankle  (broke left ankle)  Any help will be appreciated!
Tags: ankles
From what it sounds like, it seems like you were okay for about a year and then the pain began again.  If thats true, there are three things that concern me: late infection, post-traumatic arthrits, and painful hardware.  Not as worrisome would be a non-union, or failure of the bones to heal.
The tests that could be considered at this point are a bone scan with labled white blood cells to rule out infection, or a CAT scan to evaluate the congruity of the articular surfaces and the placement of the remaining screws.