Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Ankle sprain not getting better..):

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Ankle sprain not getting better..):

About 2 years ago I mildly sprained my ankle tumbling for cheerleading. Went to the after hours clinic and they said to rest it and wear a brace. It finally got better so I went back to normal activities with no problem at all. The beginning of this year the pain was coming back and I would roll my ankle very easily so we found an orthopedic. I went and they did an X-ray and nothing looked bad so he said there was a ligament on the side of my foot that was weak and I needed to do physical therapy. So I started therapy and did it for about a month and a half and it wasn't helping, in fact it was getting worse. I stopped therapy and it started to heal a little but I would still have days where it would hurt to walk on. Yesterday while at cheerleading I fell from the top of a stunt and fell on my ankle very hard. We immediately iced it and elevated it. Went to the after hours clinic, they X-rayed it and nothing showed up but it was kind of swollen and bruised so he said stay off of it for about 3 days and to find a better brace. I would really like to find out what is wrong, this has been on going for 2 1/2 years and it's very aggravating. Cheerleading is something I really enjoy and I don't want to have to wear a brace the rest of my life! I tumble twice a week and have cheerleading everyday except for saturday and Sunday so it's hard to get a break in. What should I do other than rest it?