Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Atrophy

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Atrophy

I have a bad case of lateral epicondylitis (left elbow) Now I have muscle wasting near the elbow on my upper forearm. (an indented area)( neurogenic atrophy??) Is this common or related to the elbow injury?
I'm not sure where the diagnosis of neurogenic atrophy came from. Lateral epicondylitis is not a neurologic problem.  Rather, it is tendinosis of the extensor tendons, specifically the extensor carpi radialis brevis, at their origin from the lateral epicondyle on the end of the humerus at the outside of the elbow.
It might be more likely that there is a tear to the muscle and/or tendons in the area which has caused the deformity you are describing.
We have been successful treating lateral epicondylitis with injections of platelet rich plasma (PRP). This is a form of treatment that delivers a concentrated bolus of the patient's own platelets into the injured area.  Platelets contain growth and healing factors.  This high concentration of platelets (6-8x) "jump starts" the body's healing process.