Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Back Muscle spasm

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Back Muscle spasm

My daughter on a recent sports physical, it was noted that when she bent over, there was a soft bulge to the right side of her mid back, it was soft, no history of injury, causing pain, but when bent over from the back the right side of her back was swollen, to the right of the spine,  The doctor states it appears to be a muscle spasm, this is not causing pain, but just wondering what we need to do and if this is indications of a muscle spasm,  How long should the swelling be present, and what should she do to help alleviate this.
  • scoliosis problem (2 replies):
    hello everyone, i'm sheetal age:22.......h...[more]
  • scoliosis (1 replies):
    i never went to a spinal doctor about my scoliosis,just ...[more]
  • Scoliosis (1 replies):
    I was diagnosed as having scoliosis around the age of 9....[more]
  • Scoliosis (5 replies):
    I´m 24 years old, i suffer scoliosis disease. 4 years ...[more]
  • Scoliosis
    20/f/scoliosis, past few years ive had pain in my back t...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn

You might consider posting your question in the Back and Neck Pain or Orthopedic Sports Medicine forums.  

Also, in the meantime, I would recommend that you see your personal health care provider and tell them about your symptoms.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.
Scoliosis is a painless curvature of the spine, usually first found in adolescents.  Often it is first detected in a pre-seaon physical. It is important to understand that the curve is three dimensional.  Many are aware of the typical S-shaped curve that is known as scoliosis, however, few are aware of the rotational deformity that accompanies the S curve.
From your description this may be the "rib hump" that is caused by the rotational deformity of scoliosis.  Scoliosis can be progressive.  I recommend evaluation by a pediatric orthopedic specialist in the very near future.