Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Best AntiInflammatory for Knee Pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Best AntiInflammatory for Knee Pain

2/4/09

Dear Dr. Gross:

I damaged both of my knees playing football more than 40 years ago.  I damaged the meniscus on the inside of both knees from being tackled many times.
I have been able to get by all of these years but now the jig is up.  About 15 years ago, a sports orthopedist gave me some really serious knee braces and said they would stabilize my loose knees.  They controlled the pain.
But over the last couple of years or so I arrive at this point:  Both knees hurt all of the time and it makes it very difficult for me to even walk or bicycle.
Prior to having knee surgery (I don't have a surgeon yet) I want to strengthen the muscles that support my knee and lose about 20 pounds (I weigh about 20 1bs ; I now weigh 260.)

I want to be able to exercise but I will need the help of some anti-inflammatory.  Different sources have recommended ibuprofen, tylenol and aleve.  

I would appreciate which one to use and at what dosage under the circumstances I outlined above.

(Which Metro area do you live in?)

Thank you,

TheCrow