Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Blood clot after elbow surgery

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Blood clot after elbow surgery

Recently broke elbow quite badly and had surgery.  All went well except I wound up with a blood clot in my upper arm.  I have been on Coumadin now for about a week - started with Lovemox shots for 5 days plus 4mg Coumadin.  Am now up to 8mg Coumadin and going on 10mg this evevivg.  I am being extremely careful re: vitamin K but my pro-time is still only 1.4.  I have been a vegan for over 35 years and took vitamin E and Red Yeast Rice every day.  I was told to stop my vitamins and am now wondering if this might be one reason why Coumadin doesn't appear to be working too well.  Should I try taking my vitamins again in addition to the Coumadin?  I take no other meds except 0.125 Synthroid (about 45 years) and am extremely healthy.  Please help me.  
As you know, vitamin K reverses the effect of the coumadin.  On the other hand, the other supplements present the possibility of inreasing the effects of the Coumadin.  Potential adverse reactions to Coumadin that may be precipitated by alternative medicines include fatal or nonfatal hemorrhage from any tissue or organ, bleeding that occurs when the PT/INR are falsely affected, necrosis of the skin and other tissues, and miscellaneous adverse reactions, including hypersensitivity/allergic reactions, purple toe syndrome, hepatitis, jaundice, elevated liver enzymes, vasculitis, edema, fever, rash, dermatitis, urticaria, malaise, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain, headache, dizziness, pruritus, alopecia, cold and chills.  Therefore, it is not advisable that you restart your herbals and over the counter medications without checking with your doctor and pharmacist.
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.  It is greatly appreciated.