Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Bone in arm too long

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Bone in arm too long

I have a great deal of pain and swelling of the rt. wrist. I've been told that the bone is too long and the end of it needs to be removed. Is this something rare?  If I was born with this, why has it taken 65 years to start bothering me?  Should I get a second opinion?  (I think very highly of my dr.)  I had a joint removed from a thumb a few yrs. ago and it was by far more painful than any of the many surgeries I've had, inclusing abdominal and brain surgeries.
Is bone removal surgery always so extremely painful?  Any information you can give me about the surgery and recovery would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The problem you have is called an Ulna positive wrist. Usually the Ulna is the shorter of the two bones in the wrist; the other bone is the radius. When the ulna is "too long" it can cause increased pressure on that side of the wrist, leading to degenerative changes and pain. An Ulna shortening, or Darrick Procedure, is not an inusual procedure. I recommend it be performed by an orthopedist that specializes in surgery of the hand and wrist. For the specifics of what to expect afterwards, I think you should ask your treating surgeon.