Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Broken Fibula

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Broken Fibula
I broke my fibula a week and a half ago and am trying to clarify a few things.

I was in a half cast, basically on the back of my leg and below the foot for a touch over a week, so I was unable to move my ankle and leg and was on crutches. Then 2 days ago I went to the outpatients department and the doc took the cast off me and told me to start walking on it with the aid of crutches as it isn't the weight bearing bone.

He said that the bone will heal by itself without the cast and even with me putting a bit of pressure on it. I am concerned that doing that as well as moving my leg around will mean the bones will move and not knit together the same as if I had a cast on it.

Just hoping the bone will heal properly, if anyone has any knowledge and can assist it'd be appreciated.
It certainly isn't unusual to allow weight bearing for a fibula fracture.  However, some form of external support is usually provided, either a cast or a removable boot.  If you are incomforatble you can inquire about a removeable boot.
That's very common practice w/ a fibula break.-My brother does heavy construction & is working as we speak w/ a broken fibula.- & no it not a weght bearing bone.I broke my tibia and fibula & while my tib healed with hardware placed- my fibula was left alone-I walked around for 3 months with a unhealed fibula & never knew until Dr.told me.I guess where my break was is a fine line whether to put hardware in or not.  Hope this helps!  Take care!