Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Broken Hand

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Broken Hand

I completely broke the 5th metacarpal bone in my left hand causing angulation.  I was put in a metacarpal brace for 6 weeks to realign the bones, of which it failed to do.  In fact, it hadn't moved since my last x-ray four weeks ago.  My pinky finger will not come down all the way to form a fist and is turned slightly inward.  My orthopedic doctor simply removed the brace and told me to push down on it for several times a day for the next 4 weeks and then walked away with no other explanation.  The hand remains swollen and deformed at the knuckle. I would like to know if I should have had surgery?  Can anything else be done?  Should I seek another opinion? or is this just how it is done?  What are the long term effects of having a misaligned 5th metacarpal? I play the piano and flute and would very much like to know if I will regain full mobility again.  
I would greatly appreciate some sound advice!
Lily
go back and speak with the doctor that treated you.  While a csmetic deformity such a "losing your knuckle" is not uncommon after a fracture of the fifth metacarpal, if there is a functional deficit, you may benefit from a course of hand therapy.
Thank you for your response.  I went back and he is sending me to a hand therapist.  I am unable to spread pinky finger outward, let alone grasp things completely.  How long should I expect for me to regain full function?  Should I anticipate some limitations?