Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Broken Hand
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Broken Hand

I completely broke the 5th metacarpal bone in my left hand causing angulation.  I was put in a metacarpal brace for 6 weeks to realign the bones, of which it failed to do.  In fact, it hadn't moved since my last x-ray four weeks ago.  My pinky finger will not come down all the way to form a fist and is turned slightly inward.  My orthopedic doctor simply removed the brace and told me to push down on it for several times a day for the next 4 weeks and then walked away with no other explanation.  The hand remains swollen and deformed at the knuckle. I would like to know if I should have had surgery?  Can anything else be done?  Should I seek another opinion? or is this just how it is done?  What are the long term effects of having a misaligned 5th metacarpal? I play the piano and flute and would very much like to know if I will regain full mobility again.  
I would greatly appreciate some sound advice!
Lily