Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Broken Vertebrae
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Broken Vertebrae

I am currently living in Eastern Europe in a country where the medical care is sub par.  A very good friend of mine from this area recently (and mysteriously) broke the last vertebrae in his spine (down near his tailbone).  He says the x-rays show that the vertebrae is broken in two places and the "tail" of it is just floating about 5mm away from the rest of his spine.  

This man is very active (was training for a marathon), relatively young (30), extremely careful with his health (good diet, no smoking or drinking) and had no major accidents before the pain began.  The only advice he has received from his doctors is to get cortisone shots or have the vertebrae fused together, but they have not offered a back brace or any other treatment.  My friend is horrified at the thought of spending the rest of his life off of running (as the doctors here tell him) and would very much like to heal more quickly.  Is there any advice I can give him or specific treatments that he can request from his doctors?  

My other concern is WHY the bone broke.  I have asked him to get some bone density screenings and cancer screenings, but can the vertebrae just snap from regular life (or running) in a healthy man?