Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Broken finger needs pins?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Broken finger needs pins?

I broke my finger and my friend, who is an x-ray tech, x-rayed it for me. I got the photos but all the dr's I called are booked until next week. I was wondering it my finger needed pins and/or if a trip to the ER is in order or if I can wait until next week. The finger was broken on the 26th so it's been 5 days already.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/jamiejustin/finger-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/jamiejustin/finger2.jpg
While this fracture might not require surgery, it is likely it will.  Either way it should be reduced (placed in proper alignment) as soon as possible.  A significant portion of the joint surface is involved in the fracture, and proper treatment is necessary to reduce the chances of pain, reduced function, and future problems.
Thank you for the prompt response Dr. Gross, I appreciate it. I have had the finger in a splint since the accident, taking it off for a bit when I'm not active. The swelling just started to go down yesterday and it's becoming more painful, although tolerable. Minor emergency gave me two Rx's: Lortab and Darvocet, for burns also incurred on the same hand.

I'll keep an eye on it and keep my orthopedic appointment scheduled for next week.