Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Calcified Meniscus
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Calcified Meniscus

My Primary Dr. just called to tell me that my X-rays showed a Calcified Meniscus and that I need to go to my Ortho Surgeon for a consult.   I am in constant pain walking, sitting, driving.

I will be visiting my Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow, but would like some info going in?  

What is a Calcified Meniscus and typically what would need to be done to that?
Related Discussions
700223_tn?1318169294
Calcification of the menisci, known as chondrocalcinosis, is not an uncommon problem.  Once calcified the menisci are more britlle and are mote likely to tear with trivial activity.  The condition can also lead to an acute inflamatory reaction within the joint, similar to gout, and aptly named "pseudogout.  
If you do have a large collection of fluid within your knee, your orthopedist may elect to aspirate (drain) the fluid, and send the fluid to the lab for analysis.  I usually inject theses knees with cortisone, and start the patient on an oral NSAID.  Many of them calm down and do not require further treatment.
For those that remain symptomatic, I perform arthroscopic surgery. At surgery, the calcified menisci are debrided (cleaned up), the inflammed synovium is removed, and the knee is "washed out".  Patients do well after arthroscopic treatment and are able to return to full activity quite quickly.
Good Luck!!
2 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, chondrocalcinosis was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank