Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Calf muscle lump

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Calf muscle lump
Hi all,
I was wondering if someone could give me some help and advice.  I’m very active and do a lot of sport and exercise.  Following training on Tuesday I helped bump start a car.  About ten minutes later I felt a pain in my left calf which at first I thought was just a bit of cramp and two days on it’s still painful.  It’s like a dull ache and is slightly swollen and has reduced my leg flexibility a little.  It has a lump approx 1.5 cm in size about a third of the way down from my knee on the outside of the leg.
My question is this:  Is this just a knotted muscle or do you think I have pulled / torn something?  What would your advised treatment be?  At the moment I am just icing it once a day and having an extremely painful leg massage once / twice a day.  I have stopped exercising for the moment but do not want to be out of the game for more than a week if at all possible.
Many thanks,
Rob
Sound like a partial muscle tear.  See your doctor, a short course of physical therapy may help to shorten your course.