Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Can Meniscus Tears be Repaired TWICE ?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Can Meniscus Tears be Repaired TWICE ?

Surgical repair for torn meniscus of L' Knee. 3 months post-op it buckled, caused tear during fall to  R' Knee and meniscus was surgically repaired but has also failed, although the surgeon refuses to order an MRI to "prove" this latest injury. Pain is an issue as I am allergic to all pain meds ordered to date and take nothing for the pain levels of 9-10. Before injury both knees were healthy, minimal arthritic changes on MRI's in spite of age 58 and obesity. MRI of L' Knee now shows arthritic changes and "new" tears based on MRI. M.D. wants to inject L' Knee with Supartz x 5; no suggestion for repair of EITHER knee although actual status of R' Knee remains unknown as he refuses to order MRI. Cutting to the chase:  Can a torn meniscus be repaired twice? If so should, I present to a Sports Medicine Specialist rather than a general orthopedist? ANY in-put regarding this issue is appreciated as I literally don't have a leg left to stand on...
I doubt you actually had your menisci repaired.  What is more likely is that the damaged portion of the meniscus was removed. This is known as a partial meniscectomy and is far more common than a meniscus repair. In a 58 year old male, with arthritic changes, and overweight, a meniscus repair would not be the operation of choice.
Assuming you did have a partial meniscectomy, the value of a post surgical MRI is minimal since it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to differentiate between post-surgical changes and a new tear. If indeed, you have torn into the remaining meniscus, the newly damaged portion can be removed with a second procedure.
So if you have torn for a second time within months of the first Operation of removal of 40% of the meniscus is it worth it to go in and removing the new tear? Can this happen again in another few months for a third time?  Is there anything else that can be done? Please advise.  I personally do not have the money to keep removing these tears...  : )