Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Can anyone help me understand this MRI report?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can anyone help me understand this MRI report?

If anyone can read MRI's, your help would be greatly appreciated.  I will narrow down the parts I don't understand (and leave out the ones I do):

Findings:

At least partial thickness fissure is seen along the medial patellar facet.  No significant adjacent subchondral marrow edema.  No focal high grade chondral defect is seen along the medial or lateral tibiofemoral compartments.  There is a lobulated fluid signal intensity structure along the posterior knee adjacent posterior to the PCL, measuring approximately 1.5 cm CC x 0.9 cm AP x 1.6 cm TR.  This may relate to a ganglion cyst versus more focal fluid.  There is a tiny joint and bakers cyst.

((****yadda yadda...next paragraph discusses tibia))

IMPRESSION:
1. Negative for meniscal or ligamentous tear. (okay...I understand that).

2. Moderate marrow edema along the tibia, greater along the proximal third, with mild-moderate adjacent soft tissue edema, as seen on a single provided large field-of-view STIR sequence.  This may relate to stress reaction and reactive edema.  (Okay...so I believe this means stress fracture in the proximal third area of tibia).

3. Tiny joint effusion with tiny baker's cyst.  Fluid signal intensity structure along the posterior knee joint may relate to ganglion cyst or more focal fluid.  (The only part I understand of this, is I have a Baker's cyst).

Okay, the doctor tried to explain this to me, but I had a hard time understanding everything...what is going on besides the stress fracture and baker's cyst?  I am having an arthroscopic procedure in a few weeks.  Thank you!!  Any help is greatly appreciated.