Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Carpal Tunnel Release Complications
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Carpal Tunnel Release Complications

I had carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands recently (10/2/08 Left &10/22/09 Right) . The surgery on my left hand turned out well and I am not having any problems but I developed MRSA in the incision of the right hand immediately and have had multiple problems ever since. I was treated with IV Vancomycin 1gm bid x 14 days and Bactrim DS bid x 2 months. First I developed large Keloids on my scar and deep pain in my entire palm. This has lessened but has not gone away completly especially if I try to grasp any object or use pressure to use a can opener or open a bottle. Then at 4 months I developed severe right thumb pain and when I saw an Orthopedic Surgeon I was told it was "Pillar Pain" and my thumb joint was bone to bone and had been pushed halfway off the joint by the expanding Ligaments. Now 1 month later I still have both palm pain, more severe thumb pain and trigger thumb. I also have developed moderate constant pain in my left knee joint. I was told that when "the pain got bad enough" I would need to come back for more surgery. Can you please make sense of this? I am 53 years old, work full time and love to garden, can and do alot of crafts. My right hand and thumb and left knee are in constant pain. I am frustrated. Thank-you for any help you can give me. Sunshine  
Tags: MRSA