Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Chondral injury/lesion best course of treatment
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chondral injury/lesion best course of treatment

I have been experiencing knee pain, stiffness, locking for about a month.  I saw the doctor yesterday and after xrays and mri they found a chondral flap on the nwb surface of med. fem condyle.  I am at the point where my quality of life is greatly affected by pain, swelling and fluid.  What is the best course of treatment for this type of injury?  Will it heal on its own or is surgery the way to go?  
700223_tn?1318169294
I am doubtful this will heal on its own, but one could try a coure of protected weight bearing with crutches, followed by physical therapy.  If this were unsuccessful, surgical options include, simple debridement (chondroplasty), microfracture revascularization, osteochondral plugs, or autologous cartilage replacement using cartilage grown from your own cells.  You should have a thorough discussion with your orthopedist with regards to which is best for you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank