Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Cortisone shots for hip arthritis

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Cortisone shots for hip arthritis
Hi, and thanks for fielding questions.
I'm 47, male, physically active, suffering hip arthritis on right hip, scheduled for a hip resurfacing in four months.  
Question: do you advise cortisone shots for pain relief prior to the procedure?  My specialist advises that these aren't worth the bother.  For knees, the injections are advisable, but hips are too difficult to pin-point the injection and patients are advised just to bear it.  I'm doing performance sport between now and then (bike racing) and the pain and range-of-motion are more impactful than last year.  I'd like to get the shot.  Please advise.  
Intraarticular injections for the hip are often done for temporary relief of arthritic pain, are an important adjunct to treatment.  The shots are usually done with flouroscopic or ultrasound guidance to insure that the injection is properly placed.
However, once the decision is made to go ahead with a surgical procedure, then some surgeons like to avoid intrarticular injections. Many believe that steroid injections can increase the incidence of infection after surgery.