Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Deteriorating cartilage in shoulder/Shoulder pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Deteriorating cartilage in shoulder/Shoulder pain

I've had shoulder issues since I was about 12. (3 surgeries-- 1 for a torn labrum, 2 to clean out scar tissue) About 6 years ago I had an MRI done which showed that I had deteriorating cartilage in my right (throwing/everything) shoulder. I'm 23 now and athletics are a very important part of my life as I coach basketball and baseball. I used to be able to just handle the pain but recently there has a pretty significant amount of popping and cracking whenever i make a motion with my right arm (primarily when my elbow is lifted above my shoulder). When I had the MRI a few years back, the only option was to take cartilage from my knee and place it in my shoulder. An operation that wasn't even guaranteed to work. I was wondering if there have been any medical advancements that I could pursue now, 6 years later. I know I should probably just go to my surgeon, but that would mean co-pays and traveling home (I live 2 hours from my surgeon) and MRI costs, etc.

Any help/advice would be great. Thanks!