Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Disc bulge due to whiplash? second opinon?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Disc bulge due to whiplash? second opinon?

I was involved in accident 3 years ago at the age of 25 and have been suffering whiplash symptons.  My legal consultant advised i go for an mri to rule out any underlying causes.  When I saw the NHS doctor intially about my MRI he said i had a broad based disc bulge on c5 c6 which was more to the left side interestingly because when I had the accident I put out my left arm and all mywhiplash symptons had been in my neck  and left arm.  When I recieved his report he said there was mild degeneration in all the cervical interverbrae.   I asked him was this caused by the accident 3 years before he said he did not know what came first hte accident or degeneration

. When I gave my MRI to my legal consultant he said in his opinon this was all preexcisting but the accident brought it forward by 5 to 7 years.
My problem with this diagnosis is how can he be sure when the NHS doctor was not, also why was the injury to the left which was the side id injured surley if it was pre excicting i would of had some complaint also i have read that trauma can cause degeration if my accident was 3 yeatrs ago is it not possible that it was the trauma that triggered degeneration

.  What I basically want to know is should I get a second opinon? .