Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Exercise and ankle sprain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exercise and ankle sprain

I sprained my ankle 6 weeks ago, and I still get a little pain and swelling after working all day, as I am a hairdresser. Before I hurt my ankle I walked and 2 miles three times a week. I was wondering when I could start doing that again, and where I should start as far as an exercise plan goes, because I have gained weight since the sprain. Thankyou!
Related Discussions
700223_tn?1318169294
Most ankle sprains are fairly well healed by about 6 weeks.  You can probably start walking for exercise some time fairly soon. I would likely recommend starting at about 1 mile three times a week and work gradually back to your previous level.  Usually an increase of about 10% per week is ok.
You might want to invest in an ankle support, both for work and exercise. I find the lace up type preferable to the elastic ones.
If you haven't seen a doctor yet, or if the pain persists, an X-ray to rule out a fracture or another injury known as osteochondritis dessicans is a good idea.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank