Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Femur Fracture

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Femur Fracture

Hi, I was in a car accident 3 months ago and had a clean break of the femur (mid-shaft).  I had an IM nail inserted with a pin at the hip and two screws a the knee.  Recent x-rays showed that the bone was not healing. My consultant seemed suprised as I am a young and healthy non-smoker.  I have been partial weight bearing on crutches for the last 2 month and doing well in physio.  They suggested that I have the bottom screw in my knee removed, which I am due to have done in 2 weeks.  Please can you advise me if this operation is generally successful in promoting bone growth? I am very worried about having a nonunion and wondering if a bone graft would be better? I can't understand why the bone is not healing, if you have any other suggestions they would be most appreciated.
Sometimes femur fractures treated with an IM nail and fixatation at both ends don not heal because they are slightly "overdistracted" and not allowed to compress because of the screws at both ends. Removing the distal screws, and allowing weight bearing, with promote the compression and hopefully jumpstart the healing process.  The screw removal is a relatively benign procedure, and the results can be dramatic.  Good luck!
Hi there! Are you weight bearing at all? Are you taking NSAIDs( motrin,advil type meds?) There are studies that suggest these NSAIDs prevent or slow bone healing.& even minimal weight bearing promotes bone growth. I was also told to take at least 1000 mg.of vit.C,1000 D3 as well as B12.  Good luck to you! I know what a drag these injuries are but hang in there and do all the PT you can do not only does it help pass time but it is way bigger in the healing process than alot of surgeons want to suggest!