Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Fractured Thumb or bone in hand

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Fractured Thumb or bone in hand

I was helping to put a ceiling up and I had to push it towards middle of room. I am only 115 lbs and 5"2, little boned. Anyway, when I did try to use my hand as a hammer, lol, my thumb went all the way back and I heard a crack/crunch. The pad around my thumb is swollen 3x's its size and my fingers are all swollen. I did this 2 days ago and have faithfully kept ice on it. Now where your life line would be on my hand it is black and blue and swelling is still there. Of course I can't use my thumb and there sometimes is some nerve pain going to my middle and ring finger.  We do not have insurance since my husband lost his job...but he also says that the ER wouldn't be able to do anything because of where he believes the fracture is. It is painful and if I keep my hand down, it will start to pound.  What should I do?  
Tags: hand
Go to the ER and have an Xray. Proper treatment is necessary to hasten recovery, and more importantly, to prevent complications and loss of function in the future.
My son is 10 years old. The orthopedist is pretty sure he broke his thumb by the growth plate. He is currently in a cast and is to be reevaluated next week to make sure it is broken and not sprained. Assuming that it is broken, what is the healing period for a boy his age? He plays travel team baseball and is a catcher primarily for the team. Should he be expected to be out the entire summer season? Thank you.
About a month ago I fell in my gardens onto my left leg...knee and foot swollen and brised the foot swelled both topside and underside. All has healed with exception of an area from baby toe , and one in from it with swelling/puffiness  occurring in that part of instep area once I ambulate. Wondered if I might have tore some ligaments making for a slower recovery...because it seems to be sore during up time but upon awakening in the a.m. seems to need to be stretched gently as I walk. Any suggestions / advice is most appreciated for now I am getting frustrated and am unsure how long it might take for it to hea.