Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Ganglion cyst pain treatment.

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Ganglion cyst pain treatment.

I have had a ganglion cyst for about over 4 months now.  At first it didn't hurt, but then a couple of months ago I have noticed pain around it, and whenever I put pressure on my hand like if I were doing push ups or leaning on something.  I would also have pain in my forearm, like carpal tunnel syndrome, (which i could have since I have that same feeling in my other arm too).  I went to an orthopedic and told him about the pain and everything. He said that to wait for a year and see if it will go away.  What should I do about the pain?  I have noticed that over the counter pain medicine doesn't really work.  
Certainly if the cyst is a problem, it can be aspirated. That means a needle is put in it and the fluid inside the cyst is removed.  Occasionally cortisone is injected afterwards. This is fairly non invasive, and is done in the office.  Only local anesthesia is necessary.  If this is unsuccessful, the cyst can be removed surgically.
Try ice & if that doesn't work try heat.Alot of the time these cysts will break & disappear. Hope this helps.Good luck to you!