Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Hairline fracture in foot?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hairline fracture in foot?

The bottom of my foot hurts and I'm wondering if going to see an orthopedic surgeon would do anything for it. I was using the elliptical and felt fine. Then when I went out that night, I had really bad pain and could barely walk. Now, two weeks later, I still feel it every time I step. The pain is on the bottom of my foot (plantar) right on the ball of my foot (center of the pad, right beneath the toe ligaments). It also hurts when I push down on the bottom of my toes on the dorsal side of my foot.

I've already put an insole into my shoe to ease the pain and try to wear cushy socks. If I go to an orthopedic surgeon, even if it is a hairline fracture, is he/she going to be able to do anything about it or just tell me to rest? I can certainly walk and even run a little bit but I definitely feel it, most when I'm walking barefoot on a hard surface. How long does this take to heel -- I have a ski trip in 5 weeks that I really don't want to miss.
Not necessarily a stress fracture.  This could also be sesamoidits, turf toe, hallux rigidus, or tendonits.  I would suggest evaluation by an orthopedist.