Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Hairline fracture of scaphoid- few questions..
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hairline fracture of scaphoid- few questions..

Last week I fell and hurt my right wrist. I sought treatment and the doctor took xrays of my scaphoid. Xrays showed nothing but due to pain,symptoms he put me in a splint/half cast. I headed back earlier this week and more xrays taken. Xrays showed a hairline (crack?) of the scaphoid. I'm not exactly sure  but I think it was the outer side/edge of the bone (thumb side?). I go back in three weeks for a follow up and now wearing a full cast. Someone told me that a hairline fracture of the scaphoid is more serious compared to a hairline of other bones in the body. Is this true? And what is the general recovery time for a hairline fracture of this bone? Will I be in cast for longer than three weeks? Thank you for your help!
Related Discussions
700223 tn?1318169294
Fractures of the scaphoid, a small bone in the wrist, are often both difficult to detect, and difficult to treat. Nondisplaced or " hairline" fractures are frequently not seen on the initial x-rays. However, if a scaphoid fracture is suspected on clinincal grounds, the patient's wrist and thumb are immobilized in a cast, splint, or brace to prevent further displacement.  The patient is reevaluated in 2-3 weeks and repeat x-rays are taken.  If the fils are still inconclusive, MRI or bone scan are definitive.
The best results from cast treatment are in those patients who have a fracture that is incomplete or does not extend all the way across the bone. "Nondisplaced" fractures treated in a cast within 28 days after the injury have a good chance of healing.  The average time for a fracture of the waist of the scaphoid of a bone that is not displaced to heal in a cast is three months.  Due to the unusual blood supply of the scaphoid, even some nondisplaced fractures may take six months or more to heal in a cast.
Fractures that are complete, particularly if they are displaced to any degree, take a much longer time in a cast to heal and may not heal at all if they are treated with a cast alone.
A careful discussion with your orthopedic surgeon may result in a decision to operate and to align an stabilize the bone with a special screw. These patients usually are allowed out of a cast within three weeks to begin flexibility exercises, but full use in sports is not allowed until motion and strength are restored and the x-ray shows that the bone has healed (usually 8 to 12 weeks after the operation).
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, possible wrist fracture was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Scaphoid injury and sports was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703