Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Hip Pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hip Pain

Recently I have been having hip pain where I feel it when I get up from being seated or out of a car and sometimes when going upstairs or straightening it out in bed. Also when I stand with my leg turned in and the affected hip higher than the other I can also feel it. Also, when I'm standing in this position I can especially feel it when bending/stretching toward the other side. It also hurts sometimes when I press a specific area at the top of my hip. Thank you very much for your input."
.
While I'm not entirely sure what the question is, I will try to give you some information.  First, many people are confused as to where the hip joint actually is located. It is found in the most inner part of the groin.  When most people, talk about their hips, they are usually talking about the shot tissues on the outside of the hip (usually the trochanteric bursa or the Iliotibial band) to their lower back.
That said, from what you're probably describing is tightness in the ITB, I would suggest a stretching program, sometimes the problem is a leg length discrepancy, which responds to a shoe lift.  Probably an evaluation by an orthopedist and an accurate diagnosis is a good idea before you get started